Thursday, February 23, 2012

God sleeps in Rwanda


In our staff training before the students came, we heard many Rwandan proverbs or stories.  In the old times, before the colonizers came to Rwanda, the people here used to say that while God might go and visit other places and people in the world during the day- God always came back to sleep in Rwanda at night.

Rice paddies near Rubona
Today- God not only sleeps here but is very involved in day to day life.  When I help a student with their homework- some of them say 'thank you, god bless you.' Church activities define the weekend here- what religious group is praying where and when.

 Although the village is not religious institution, I would say that 99% of the students and staff here believe in God.  I would say this is also true of Rwanda.  Most Rwandans are some form of Christianity with a minority of Muslims. This month there has also been a group of young Jewish students here on a gap year between highschool and university.  They have their own traditions and religious activities to add to the mix.  Most of the incoming Rwandan students have never heard of Judaism before- so it is interesting to see the Jewish students and the Rwandan students talking together about faith and Religion.


Atheism, Agnosticism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shamanism or any other faith (or lack of faith) is not known here.

So why is it, that Rwandans' are so hopeful, so faithful?  It seems proposterous when you consider the country's history... or does it?  We all need something or someone to believe in.... something to hope for.  I think that Rwanda has many reasons to be hopeful and to believe in the future.

Lake Mugesera
Sufi poem atributed to Hazrat Inayat Khan

“ I asked for strength
and God gave me difficulties to make me strong
I asked for wisdom
and God gave me problems to learn to solve.
I asked for prosperity
and God gave me a brain and brawn to work.
I asked fro courage
and God gave me dangers to overcome.
I asked for love
and God gave me people to help.
I asked for favours
and God gave me opportunities.
I received nothing I wanted.
I received everything I needed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment